I finally got around to using my printer to print on fabric for the first time. What took me so long?!? This is so easy! Have you printed on fabric yet? If not, I’ll show how I made this subway art pillow.
Supplies I used:
- wide format color inkjet printer
- 12″ x 12″ cardstock
- spray repositionable adhesive
And of course you’ll need a graphic to print. Here’s a little tutorial for using the Fill Color window in Silhouette Studio.
The subway art I used is a vinyl cutting file that I purchased from Vinyl-Ready Designs a while back. I downloaded the file into my Silhouette Studio software and opened the file into a new page.
Next, I needed color. I did a google image search for “Spring Colors 2013”. After finding one I liked, I copied and pasted that image into the same page as my cutting file so that I could use the color picker in the Fill Color window to fill in the words in the subway file from that color swatch. You can see the color swatch and the Fill Color Window in the image below.
I lightly sprayed the repositionable adhesive onto a piece of 12″ x 12″ cardstock and adhered my fabric (also cut to the same size) to it. Be sure to firmly smooth down the fabric, especially around the edges. I then just put the fabric-covered cardstock in the printer and hit print! I admit I was a little nervous, hoping it wouldn’t jam. It didn’t – whew!
Since the size of the square of fabric was only 12″ and I wanted a larger pillow, I cut four 2 1/2″ strips of the same fabric and sewed each strip to each side of the square.
As you can see from the image above, that meant I had to miter the corners. Yikes! Well, I’ve never done that before, but there’s a first time for everything, right? After all, my mother was a sewing teacher; I can do this! I am sure that this isn’t the “correct” or best way to sew mitered corners, but it worked for me! When I sewed on each strip to a side of the square, I stopped the stitching 1/4″ for each end. I matched up the ends of two adjoining strips and stitched from the top corner diagonally down the the orignal stitching line. I hope that made sense!
So now I have a 14″ square. And my pillow form is 16″?!?! What??? I thought the package said 14″. I could have removed the four 2 1/2 strips and started over with 4 1/2″ strips. But I didn’t. I remembered that I had a bag of Poly-Fil. Yay!!!!
All that was left to do was a cut out a 14″ square from the same fabric, lay the two pieces together (wrong sides facing) and sewing around the edges leaving an opening for turning and stuffing.
Finally, I stuffed the pillow with Poly-Fil and hand stitched the opening closed!
And it’s done!
I am really happy with the way this pillow turned out. The reason I chose this design is because Dan and I are avid bike riders. We are so looking forward to pedaling our bikes soon. We were hoping it would be warm enough this weekend, but riding a shady trail in 50 degrees with 10 MPH wind is no fun! Maybe next weekend!
Linking to these great parties: